This is one garment I wasn’t expecting to make! I never thought much about the Deer and Doe Myosotis Dress pattern but I recently saw a couple versions I really liked on Instagram. I kind of had the pattern in the back of mind since then. I went to New York with my friends Jess and Hannah for another garment district shopping trip last month. When I was at Mood, I spotted this white cotton with embroidered flowers. I figured I’d find something to make with it so I bought 2 yards. I didn’t immediately think about this dress but the next day I realized this fabric would be perfect! I thought I didn’t buy enough according to the pattern envelope and was so disappointed. My friend Jess even went back to get me another yard but it sold out in a couple days! The guy said it had been there 10 years. What are the odds? I decided to buy the pattern and lay it out anyway. I actually had just enough! The only piece I omitted was the pockets because this fabric is slightly sheer. I have to wear this over a slip.
I had no trouble sewing this up. I made it in one day. I think the fit is good. I was one size in my bust and a larger size in my waist. I ended up just cutting the size for my bust and was fine because this dress is loose fitting. I could consider grading out to a larger waist size next time.
I think this is the perfect spring/ summer dress. It’s so light and airy. I’m just so thrilled with how this turned out. I love the Deer and Doe patterns I have tried and this one is definitely another keeper! Also, how beautiful is this tree in my backyard?! I’ve lived here 4 springs and don’t recall it ever looking this good!
Hello! First, I just wanted to let you know I finally upgraded to have my own website domain! It’s poeticmemorysewing.blog and I updated my Instagram username to poeticmemorysewing. I’ve felt like I needed a change for a while now but wasn’t ready to let go of Poetic Memory after using it for 7 years! Anyway- back to the sewing!
How amazing is this fabric?! I was at Mood in New York earlier this month. We didn’t have much time so I ran down a few aisles and happened to see this Italian made chiffon! It has foxes all over it which you know is right up my alley. I bought a yard and half figuring I would make a top out of it. I had this blouse in mind but when I looked up the pattern later, I realized I didn’t buy enough of it and was so disappointed. I love the sewing community online because I was told it doesn’t require as much fabric as stated. I managed to cut out the size 8 and still have some left- possibly for a scarf?!
This pattern is great for sheer fabric because there’s no neck facing and the seams can be enclosed. I was nervous sewing with chiffon because it’s delicate and frays. Normally I would serge the edges of a frayed fabric but I didn’t want the bulk in the seams. I cut it out with a rotary cutter, put it in a bag until I was ready to work it. I tried to handle it as little as possible. There’s a few seams I wanted to fix but it wasn’t worth it! Overall I’m really happy with it. I paired it with my Seamwork Leonora with my scalloped hem hack and I love this outfit. I also wore it with jeans! It’s definitely a versatile top that I’ll get a lot of wear out of.
As I mentioned earlier I cut out a size 8 and am pretty happy with the fit except the sleeves are a little too long. If I make another (which I’m pretty sure I will!) I’ll shorten them probably by a 1/2 inch to an inch.
I’m heading back to Mood in a few weeks and can’t wait to see what I find!
I’ve had this project cut out since August or September and I’m so happy I finally got around to making it! The Pippi Pinafore is an overall dress with a fitted bib, patch pockets on the skirt and button fastenings on one side. I made it out of Marc Jacobs cotton velvet that I splurged on when I was at Mood fabrics in NYC over the summer. I’m pretty sure I only bought one yard so I managed to squeeze this pattern out of that! I’m really happy with the finished garment. I made it over a few evenings after work. It came together easily. The hardest part to me was attaching the button placket and facing but the illustrations make it easy to figure out. For the straps, you can use hardware or you can use buttons. I opted for buttons. I think the construction is very clever- using a button hole on the bib to pass the strap through and up to fasten. This pattern is a winner to me. I’d love to make a solid linen one for the spring/ summer!