Outfit · Sewing

Butterick B6318


B6318 is part of Butterick’s vintage collection. It’s from 1961 and has a gathered skirt, high neckline, dolman sleeves and waist ties. I’ve had this pattern for a while now. I bought it during one of Joann’s pattern sales but never had any real plans to make it. I recently saw a few versions pop up on Instagram and I finally felt inspired to give it a go! I got this Rifle Paper Co fabric last year when they released their English Garden collection. It’s such a beautiful fabric with so many great details in the print. I kept changing my mind on what to make with it! I think I bought 3 yards so I wanted a pattern that wouldn’t leave me with a lot left over.


As far as fit goes, I’m happy. I graded from a 6 in the bust to an 8 in the waist. I don’t think I’d change a thing. I like the style of this dress and I think this pattern is a winner. I try not make dresses like this anymore though because I can’t wear them too often. I don’t know if I’ll be making this dress again anytime soon. Or if I did, maybe a shorter length would be more wearable.If I made this again, I’d also use a dyed fabric instead of a printed fabric because you can easily see the wrong side of the waistband fabric when it’s tied. I thought about backing it but I didn’t have enough fabric and I was worried it would be too bulky. 


TULIPS. Obviously the show stopper here. About an hour from where I live has a farm that planted a million tulips. Literally. It’s called Holland Ridge Farms if anyone reading is from the New Jersey area. I wanted to go last year but I found out about it at the very end of the season. I made sure to keep an eye on their page this year so I didn’t miss out. It was so gorgeous. I didn’t want to leave! These are easily my favorite photos I’ve taken for the blog. 


Outfit · Sewing

Butterick B6167


Hello! I’ve been quite productive with my sewing this past week. I made a jumper, a pouch, hemmed some jeans and re worked this dress! Oh, and I took a class all about hems over the weekend! I enjoyed it very much and hope to share what I learned on here.

I made this dress last year. It’s a Butterick pattern by Gertie. I wanted this dress but it was out of my budget. I came across the same fabric and realized I could make something very similar with this pattern! This cotton fabric is Michael Miller and it’s too cute! Bunnies and deer? I needed it!


I only wore this dress once, maybe twice last year. I actually didn’t like it at all. It felt too long and there was a weird poof/ excess fabric on the side panels. I took it to my hems class and removed about four inches so it hits right above my knee now. I also opened up the bodice and removed some of that extra fabric. It’s still not perfect but it’s much better now. Has anyone else made this pattern? I was curious if anyone else had issues with the fit in the bodice.


I’ll be back soon with a post on my jumper! If you follow me on instagram, you probably have already seen a peek of it.


Outfit · Sewing

Endless Summer (Simplicity 1426 & Butterick BP289)


I thought we were headed into fall weather but this past week was hot! Beaches are free here in September so we took this opportunity to put our feet in the sand one more time this year. It was so nice to just sit and watch the waves. I think I could have stayed all day if we didn’t have somewhere to be.


I was really happy to have a chance to wear this set I made. I thought I was going to have to wait until next summer. The top is Simplicity 1426, lined with poly laminate foam for support. And the shorts are Butterick BP289. I made them in this really cute daisy cotton I got from Jo Ann fabrics.


It was very comfortable! I’ve made these shorts once before and I definitely recommend this pattern. I’m also very happy with how this top turned out. There are different styles included in this pattern that I think I will have to try next summer. The pattern didn’t mention the foam but I’m so glad I decided to put it in. I had ordered some for a bathing suit I made (I’ll have to share that one day) but I was too impatient for it to arrive so I used some molded cups from Jo Anns instead. I will definitely use the foam over molded cups in the future. It’s much softer and was really easy to sew! I just cut the foam the same size as the bra lining and basted it to that piece.